Benefits of Texting Using Short Code 87569
Many of you may be aware that recently the FCC has given the wireless phone carriers the ability to block text messages without much oversight. BrightArrow has found that the wireless carriers have recently been targeting long code texts (texts which originate from 10-digit phone numbers). In the past few weeks, we have observed that some of the texts that we send out are sometimes being blocked for a variety of reasons by the wireless companies.
BrightArrow has concluded that the only practical way to continue sending texts reliably is to use what is called short code texts – text messages that originate from a convenient 5-digit or 6-digit number instead of a 10-digit phone number.
As many of you may be aware, BrightArrow has responded by offering short code texting from the originating number 87569. A short code number is much less likely to be blocked because we have signed a contract with the major carriers promising that the texts will not be SPAM and that all recipients have opted in to receive these texts. Fortunately, we have provided an approach that will benefit all our customers and allow them to send text messages dependably.
Why move to short code using the 87569-texting number?
- Due to the FCC removing SPAM-blocking restrictions recently, short code is the only practical way to have a reliable delivery of text messages. This eliminates the chance that the message can directly land to spam box instead of your constituent’s inbox directly.
- A short code number is unlikely to be blocked, allowing you to communicate critical and time sensitive information without barriers.
- Better recognition: A short code can be as recognizable to your constituents as a website address. Plus, it’s easy-to-use and easy-to-remember, making it simple for recipients to immediately recognize that the text came from you.
- We implemented unlimited length text functionality by providing a link at the end of texts that exceed 160 characters. Carriers started blocking that feature when delivered using long code, but it works fine on short code. Therefore, you can send unlimited length text messages reliably.
- With long code texts, we had to append “junk” characters at the end of texts to minimize their being rejected as SPAM. We do not do that with short code
- Everyone receives the text from the same phone number, making it much easier to identify where the text is coming from.
- With a high throughput rate, messages sent through short code can be used for alert notifications, weather announcements, traffic updates and other security notifications, concisely and precisely.
- Having a dedicated short code allows you to have complete control over what is sent and will give you a higher degree of privacy and security.
- Furthermore, since phone carriers vet and approve all short codes for their intended use, they are not subject to carrier filtering.
In order to ensure reliable delivery of text messages, you should proceed right away by switching over to short code. Our goal is always to enable you to send messages fast and reliably. When things change, like how wireless carriers operate, we are here to adjust accordingly and promptly. We believe you will find the new approach for texting to be a very positive enhancement and the benefits of short code will allow you to communicate with your constituents effectively.
Please contact GetTechSupport@BrightArrow.com requesting a change to short code and specify when you would like us to turn it on (so that it corresponds to when you announce it to your constituents). Our technicians are happy to help you switch to short code, so you can take advantage of the benefits that it allows.